Not all essential oils are created equal.
Please note these 75 uses are for Young Living essential oils.
Not all essential oils are the same. Young Living essential oils are therapeutic/medicinal grade, verses most oils on the market, which are cosmetic/fragrant grade.
1. Ease pain – Apply a few drops of Pan Away blend to the affected area and layer with Peppermint for a natural analgesic effect.
2. Freshen stinky sneakers and shoes – Place cotton balls with several drops of either Thieves, Purification, Peppermint, Geranium, Lemon or Tea Tree into shoes overnight.
3. Scent a room for mood – Gently scent a room using a YL Diffuser – try Evergreen Essence or Christmas Spirit during winter, or Citrus Fresh essential oils during spring and summer. For romance, try the blend Sensation. For unhappy people, use Joy to lift their spirits. Kids fighting? Use White Angelica. And to calm the room… Lavender!
4. Scented DIY dryer sheet – Add a few drops of your favorite YL essential oil to a dampened washcloth, toss into your clothes dryer when drying laundry.
5. Repel flies – Fill a 32 oz. spray bottle with water, add 20-30 drops of Peppermint, shake often. Spray kitchen counter-tops, around windows/doors – and yourself (do not get spray on your face or eyes!)
6. Eliminate food odors in the fridge – Add 1-2 drops Orange, Lemon, Grapefruit, Bergamot, Thieves, or Purification essential oil to 1 cup of water. Using a sponge wipe surface of icebox, freezer, oven, trash cans.
7. Air Freshener spray – Add 20-30 drops of Peppermint, Lemon, Thieves, or Purification to a 32 oz. spray bottle of water – spritz into the air for a nontoxic freshener that kills odors rather than mask them. I actually use 5 drops of Purification and 4 drops of Lavender in an 4 oz bottle filled with distilled water. **Make certain you use glass bottles! The oils eat toxins and plastic bottles are petroleum byproduct so they will eat right through the bottle.
8. Repel mice and squirrels in the home – Put several drops of Peppermint oil on cotton balls in problem areas where mice enter.
9. Carpet Refresher – Add 10-15 drops of Citrus Fresh, or Thieves or Purification (or other essential oils) to 1 cup cornstarch or baking soda, stir well, let sit for 24 hours in a closed jar. Sprinkle carpet and let sit for a while. Vacuum as usual.
10. Doggy odor? Try YL Lavender Shampoo and several drops of Palo Santo essential oil when you give your dog a bath. Massage in mixture for 20 minutes, rinse… your dog will smell amazingly GREAT!
11. Non-toxic dog flea collar – On a soft rope put several drops of Purification and Palo Santo, then put the rope into a bandanna to tie loosely around the dog’s neck.
12. Scent your room while you vacuum – Put 2-3 drops of your favorite YL oil on a cotton ball placed inside the vacuum canister of your vacuum cleaner.
13. Tired muscles and aching joints? Add one part each Pan Away, Peppermint and Basil oil to 4 parts V-6 or Jojoba. Massage into area as needed.
14. Deodorant powder – Mix in a small jar – mix 2 oz. Cornstarch, 1 oz. Baking soda, and a few drops of either Geranium, Melrose, Thieves, Joy, or Lavender essential oil.
15. Massage oil – Add 10 to 12 drops of your favorite YL essential oil to 2 oz. of YL V-6 Massage Oil base.
16. Refreshing soak bath – Blend in a small jar one drop each of Juniper, Cedarwood, Grapefruit, Lavender, Rosemary, Lemon or Fennel to 2 oz. of sea salt or a combo of epsom salt, baking soda, etc. Add 1-2 tablespoons of the salt mixture to a warm bath and soak.
17. Stay awake and alert – Put a couple drops each of Peppermint and Rosemary on cotton ball near the car heating/cooling vents for a refreshing scent. Or you can just do what I do, inhale straight from your bottle of Peppermint!
18. Sleep well – Place hanky sprinkled with a couple drops of Roman Chamomile and Lavender oil under our pillow. My regimen… Valor on my feet at night to help me go to sleep and I diffuse Dream Catcher at night to keep me asleep.
19. Smelly hotel rooms while on vacation – Add a few drops each of Citrus Fresh and Peppermint to travel-sized mister, or a few drops of Thieves or Purification.
20. Athletes foot / nail fungus – Dab a couple drops of Melrose on toes and rub on feet to soothe burning, tired feet and to combat foot fungus. Lavender oil mixed with Melaleuca oil also works for Athletes foot!
21. Ease headache – Massage 1 drop of Peppermint, Lavender or Pan Away on temples (avoiding eye area) and back of the neck for relief.
22. Scented stationery gift – Add a couple drops of Lavender, Jasmine or Ylang Ylang to a cotton ball, place stationary and envelopes and cotton ball in a zip-lock baggie for 24 hours. Put into a pretty box with a nice pen, tie with ribbon.
23. Aromatic sachets – Add a few drops of Citrus Fresh, or your favorite YL essential oil, to dried flowers/herbs in lightweight decorative cloth bags then tie with a thin ribbon.
24. Potpourri – Fill glass jars or decorative boxes with dried flowers scented with a few drops of of your favorite YL essential oil.
25. Perfume – Add 25 drops your favorite YL essential oil to 1 oz. jojoba oil. Let sit in a tightly capped bottle for two weeks before using.
26. Bath oils – Add a few drops of Lavender, Release, Peace & Calming, Gentle Baby, or Ylang Ylang essential oil in a small jar of apricot or almond oil and stir thoroughly. To use: put 1-2 TBSP in warm running bath water.
27. Arthritis or stiff joints – Mix 2 drops each of Wintergreen, Cypress, and Lemongrass with 2 tablespoons of V-6 massage oil. Apply topically to achy joints.
28. Bathtub scrubbing cleaner – Mix 1 cup baking soda, 6-10 drops of Thieves essential oil in a bowl. Pour mixture into an airtight container to have on hand. Use this mixture the same way you would use SoftScrub.
29. No calorie, refreshing, flavored water – Add 1-4 of either Lemon, Peppermint, Grapefruit, Spearmint, Orange or Citrus Fresh to a 16 oz. glass of water. Tangerine is another choice and I must say, it is my favorite. I was not the best water consumer but since using the oils in my water I can’t get enough!
30. Lavender-Peppermint Foot Soak for tired feet – Mix together in a small bowl: 1/4 cup Epsom Salts, 2 drops each of Lavender, Peppermint and Chamomile essential oils, add to warm foot bath water, soak for 10-15 minutes.
31. Peppermint Hot Chocolate/Peppermint Coffee – Make your hot chocolate as usual, take a toothpick and dip it into the center hole of your bottle of YL Peppermint essential oil (only a tiny amount will get on the toothpick, which is what you want), then swirl the toothpick in your cup of hot chocolate – perfect! You may add an entire drop, like I prefer!
32. Dipping Oil (for bread) – In a small dipping bowl put 1 oz. of olive oil and one drop of either Mountain Savory, Oregano, Thyme, Marjoram, or Basil. Set dipping bowl on table so everyone can dip as desired.
33. Copper polish – Add 1 drop of Lemon to a soft cloth and gently buff.
34. Aid digestion – Add one drop of either Di-Gize or Peppermint to a tall glass of water. Di-Gize can also be rubbed onto the tummy area, you may want to use a carrier oil.
35. Fever sponge bath – Add 2 drops each of of Eucalyptus, Peppermint and Lavender into your basin of cool water. Submerge a washcloth into the basin and wring, gently wipe body.
36. Alleviate depression – Put 1-2 drops of Geranium, Lavender, Joy and Bergamot on a hanky or in your YL Diffuser. These are just to name a few. Harmony, Ylang Ylang, or Joy have been my choice lately and I actually choose one wear it around my neck in place of perfume. Frankincense is also great for depression and I placed it on the bottom of my feet.
37. Moth repellant – On a cotton ball, put 4 drops each of Lavender and Cedarwood, put cotton ball in chest or drawer.
38. To support the respiratory system – add 1 drop of Frankincense to the crown of the head. Rub RC essential oil over the chest and breathe in both of these oils.
39. Alleviate painful cold sores – Apply 1 drop of either Lavender or Melrose or Copaiba to the cold sore.
40. Cleanse and address open wounds (a spray) – to the site of the cut or scratch, use a drop of Purification to cleanse the wound and then Lavender and Tea Tree (Melaleuca) to help repair skin / wound. These essential oils can also be put into a small spray bottle with distilled water and used as a spray.
41. Burns. – Lavender. Need I say more?
42. Dandruff and hair loss – In a small 4 oz. spray bottle filled with distilled water, add 8 drops each of Lavender (for dandruff) and Rosemary (for hair loss and to stimulate scalp), spritz scalp before bedtime and brush/comb in. I would also take YL’s Sulfurzyme supplement, as it supports healthy skin, hair, and nails.
43. Flu going around? Support your immune system by adding a drop of Thieves essential oil to the bottoms of your feet or even a drop into the mouth. Also diffuse Thieves around the home to cleanse the air. For kids it’s all about diffuse – diffuse – diffuse.
44. More immune system support – To your YL diffuser or air freshener spray, add 20-30 drops of either Lemongrass or the blend R.C. – these can also be added to the blend Thieves.
45. Bathroom air freshener – In a 4 oz. bottle filled with water, add 6 drops of both Lemon and Purification.
46. Callous or bunion? Apply 1 drop of Lemon oil morning and night.
47. Increase shelf-life of fresh produce – Fill a bowl with cool water and 2-3 drops of Lemon oil. Drop your cleaned fruit into the water and stir. Be sure all surfaces of the fruit contact the lemon water.
48. Sanitize counter-tops – In a 4 oz. bottle filled with water, add 8 drops of either Thieves or Lemon essential oil or use Thieves Household Cleaner.
49. Sanitize and disinfect dish cloth – Soak your dishcloth overnight in a bowl of water and 1 drop of Lemon oil to disinfect and kill germs.
50. Frustration / Depression / Uplift Mood – Rub a drop of Joy oil over the heart and on the bottom of each foot. The Feelings Kit is for promoting emotional clearing and may be another good choice.
51. Inflammation and Bruises – Apply a couple drops of PanAway oil topically on an injured area to reduce inflammation and bruising – NOT for open wounds.
52. Blemishes – Apply 1 drop of Purification or Lemon Oil to blemish – keep away from eyes!
53. Dry aging skin solution – Add 1 drop each of Frankincense, Lavender and Sandalwood to a tablespoon of Coconut Oil – apply a very thin amount on face before bedtime.
54. Dog ear mites – Apply Purification oil diluted with V-6 Massage Oil to a cotton ball and rub at the base of the ear to eliminate ear mites in dogs. Do NOT put essential oils into ear canal!!!
55. Blisters – Rub a drop of Purification or Ylang Ylang essential oil on a blister to cleanse and disinfect.
56. Sore throat – Rub a drop of Purification oil on the outside of a sore throat when it is first beginning. Or, gargle with Thieves essential oil a few times a day, then swallow!
57. Air travel germ protection – Before leaving home, put a cotton ball with 4 drops of either Purification or Thieves, into a baggie – open baggie often to inhale the aroma. You can also apply a drop of either Thieves or Purification to the soles of your feet for protection from germs too.
58. Over-active and hard to manage children – Diffuse the blend Peace & Calming for 15 minutes every 2-3 hours and apply the oil to the bottoms of their feet.
59. Sciatica pain – Rub 2-3 drops of PanAway at the base of the spine, Valor all along the spine and to the feet.
60. Cranky man around the house??? Rub 1 drop of the blend Joy between your palms and then spread over the face and neck after shaving.
61. Chiropractic adjustments – Before your Chiropractic session rub a couple drops of the blend Valor on the soles of your feet, this will will help your body get in alignment much faster.
62. Embedded ticks on people and dogs – Put 1-2 drops of Palo Santo or Purification essential oil on the embedded tick to dislodge and kill the tick.
63. Getting rid of Bedbugs – Before going to work, completely fill with Purification and turn on your TheraPro Diffuser in your bedroom with the door closed, and let the diffuser run all day. Do NOT enter- keep children and pets away.
64. Natural Laundry Detergent – Use 1 TBSP Thieves Household Cleaner in place of all laundry detergents. It will not make suds and cleans laundry really well.
65. Protection in your kids bedrooms spray (aka “monster spray”) – In a 6 oz. spray bottle, add 8-12 drops of either Lavender, White Angelica, Valor or Sacred Mountain and spray under beds and in closets – it helps encourage calmness, courage and protection.
66. For bites and boo-boos – Lavender essential oil and Purification bring relief.
67. Dog with back pain – Try a small amount of Deep Relief Roll-on (diluted with V-6 Massage Oil) on your dog’s back, you will have to move the fur so the essential oil gets on their skin.
68. Nutritious and delicious ginger ale – Try pouring one bottle of Ginger Brew (found in most health food stores) into a tall glass and add 1-2 oz. of NingXia Red for a delicious and nutritious carbonated beverage.
69. Wanting to reverse those facial wrinkles? Rub a couple drops of both 3 Wise Men and Copaiba essential oils on your face every night to help regenerate skin and smooth wrinkles. Frankincense essential oil is a miracle oil!
70. Eliminate greasy build-up from shampoo – Try any of the YL shampoo’s and conditioners. These non-toxic products are amazing! No more flat, greasy build-up again! Plus, you will save a ton of money on the conditioner because it is so concentrated. I like the lavender one.
71. Muscle cramps in calves – Try rubbing in 5-7 drops of Gentle Baby essential oil.
72. PMS symptoms? Try Dragon Time essential oil or Clary Sage oil. Rub either on abdomen, or on the feet.
73. Window cleaner – Try 5 drops of Lemon in a 14 oz. spray bottle filled with water, or simply use Thieves Household Cleaner.
74. Anxiety? Try equal amounts of both Orange and Lavender essential oils in your diffuser. Valor on my feet also helps with my anxiety and if it’s in high gear I use Peace and Calming to calm my nerves.
75. Bee stings – Try 1 drop of either Thieves or Purification essential oils on the location of the sting for relief.
Convinced yet that this is a good investment for you and others in your home? Let’s talk about the best way for you to have your own Young Living account and start stocking up on life-giving products that are safe for the whole house and effective as heck.
You’re going to want your own account – and the best way to do that is with any of our starter bundles. This is the bundle that about 90% of people start with – but there are other options. Become a member today: https://yl.pe/lori-tisdale
Join our team. And then join our online oil community. I’m passionate about sharing HOW, and WHY, and WHEN, and WHERE to use essentials oils. You are not alone.